I ended my last blog post on quite an alarming note if you may recall, or haven’t you been reading my posts lately. Well, come on then, there’s a good girl, scroll back, there you go, that one. The theme was women’s beauty (in general, I must just add) and now we’re back to my favorite talking point; feeling good. Only, this is a post with a difference. Yes, at the end of the day, it is going to make you feel much better. Like it was for me, it’s all about empowering yourself with tons of knowledge which can only do wonders for you during the rest of your natural life.
Time and money, you see. I’ve also got others waiting. So, I’m just going to kick off where I left off last time and carry on from there. By now, you’ll have worked out that I’m now going gaga for natural and/or organic alternatives for beauty and/or skin care. May as well get used to it girls, it’s the way of the future. Slowly but surely, in line with countries’ evolving laws, multinationals are having to scrap those harmful chemicals from their lines of beauty and skin care products, but I reckon it will still be years before we can pick up a bottle of shampoo or our next beauty product pack where the label clearly reads; ZERO POISON.
But the following are poisonous
• Bronopol – I always say; why be normal. Now, I’m saying; why be natural. Well, why not? Have you read your beauty product pack labels lately? And this one? It sounds like a faraway town in Russia, the world’s largest country by land mass. Siberia’s still there, so you’d better watch out. Bronopol is actually located in your body wash, your moisturizers, make-up removers and, mum, your anti-ageing skin care products. And guess what, mum, it can harm both your skin and your immune system.
• Benzalkonium chloride – Another Russian-sounding term which is ironically found in acne treatments. It’s also found in facial cleansers, sunscreens and moisturizers. It’s poisonous to the core. Remember that word, carcinogenic? Yes, that’s right ladies; these skin care products’ chloride inclusion can cause cancer.
• Dioxane – Same goes for this mother, no, not you mum, that’s not what I meant. Dioxane found in body lotions, moisturizers, anti-ageing products and even baby use soaps, can also cause headaches and irritations of the eyes, nose and throats of humans. And it can even cause anorexia. Bloody hell! Frighteningly, one survey revealed that this poison was even found in products labeled as organic or natural.
• Diethanolamine – This chemical ingredient is found in hair coloring products, moisturizers too, as well as sunscreen. It can harm skin, the immune system and can cause cancer.
• Formaldehyde – This harmful compound is also carcinogenic and can be found in your everyday deodorant, soap, shampoo and nail polish.
Making the change from normal to organic
It’s beginning to sound ridiculous, never mind downright scary. I mean, one the one hand, here we’ve been told how good sunscreens are for us, blocking out the sun’s harmful UV rays which can give us skin cancer, and the very same products contain poisons that can cause cancer. Ai-yai-yai! By now, you also know what it’s like to stand impatiently in a long line, waiting to ring up your latest basket of beauty and skin care products. Well, no more, in case you did not know this before. Welcome to the world of online shopping. Yes, today, you can pretty much create your own shopping basket, add as many things as you want, beauty and skin care products in particular, and then hand over your checking account or credit card number, and provided you’ve got the cash for these, pay for it online. Oh, and I almost forgot to tell you. You’ll be waiting for your deliveries. And who knows how long that will take?
Why be normal. Why wait, even. Why be natural. Why, that’s precisely the point, or haven’t you been reading or paying attention. Why wait for your government or your supermarket chain to make the beautiful changes necessary to not only make you beautiful but keep you healthy in the long run. Because today, in accordance with organic lifestyles, you can make your own beauty and skin care product packs right here at home. You may still need to buy some of the ingredients, mind you. If not that, most of the ingredients will be fresh and growing in your new organic garden.
There’s two key ingredients that I’ll be adding to my organic shopping basket right now. I have to because I don’t have a garden to speak of right now. And don’t ask me what’s growing on my kitchen window sill right now. It could either make you shudder or cry. Anyway, those two key, natural, must have ingredients for organic skin care and basically just feeling beautiful, never mind looking beautiful, are avo’s and honey. The honey, by the way, must be raw. That way you know it’s really natural.
On a high
So, to close this feeling good post on a positive high then, let me fill you in on my main reasons for wanting to go natural where beauty and skin care products are concerned. I’ll admit this much though, I think just of myself most days. I’m not a tree hugger or one prone to bursting out in tears for any old reason. I’m not exactly a penny pincher either, but times are tight for me at the moment. I may as well get used to making my own sodding home products because the stuff in the store is just getting more expensive every month.
Also, I want to look and feel beautiful. Not just today, or tomorrow, or next week or even next year, which is just around the corner again, but for the rest of my natural life. There’s motivation for you.